Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I-933

Just the impact: Office of Financial Management. I-933, which will go up before Washington State voters in November, is a poorly written and badly designed initiative that would cost the state billions of dollars to just implement it.

The goal of the initiative, if I'm clear on it (and I'm not at all sure I am because it's so badly written) is to make sure that land owners are not adversely impacted by government regulations. But that's not what the thing will do. If Oregon's experience with a similar badly written citizens' law is any indication, this thing will only result in another level of bureaucracy and a whole bunch of lawsuits, costing the taxpayers millions, if not billions, of dollars.

I guess I'm voting "no" on it. As much as I support property rights, we need laws written by people with brains.

I'm slowly but surely moving towards the opinion of my father-in-law, who refuses to vote for any initiatives because writing laws is what we hire lawmakers to do.

No comments: