Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Phone Poll

I don't usually answer phone polls, but I got a call just now and decided to play along and see what happened. It was a quick poll... the pollster did NOT identify who they were working for until the end of the call.

I was halfway expecting a push poll of some kind, but the questions were simple and straightforward.

She first asked if I planned to vote in November. I said yes.

She then asked which candidate I preferred, and listed both candidates, McCain first then Obama, with their party affiliations. I told her. She then wanted a range of how likely I was to vote for my preferred candidate. I told her.

Then she asked which of the candidates for Washington State Governor I preferred, listing Rossi first then Gregoire, with party affiliations. I told her. She then asked for a range of how likely I was to vote for my preferred candidate. I told her.

At the end of the call she told me the poll was being run on behalf of the Democratic National Committee and was not affiliated with any candidates. I said, "OK" and she thanked me and ended the call. Huh.

Normally I hate getting any unsolicited calls, but this one was interesting to me at this point in my life. I would've been more interested if it had been the Republicans calling, but you can't have everything. I do wonder about the poll... how many people, where they got my name and number, where I can see the results. But it was something. I don't normally go out of my way to participate in elections beyond the odd blog ranting and, of course, voting. But hey, it was just a poll.