Monday, August 23, 2004

Wish Me Luck

A tech from Comcast is coming over tomorrow to check into our odd disconnection issues.

What's been happening is that every five or ten minutes the connection goes away for awhile, usually a minute or less, then it comes back on its own. I tried everything. I switched out the router for a newer one. Same problem. I looked up some possible Windows issues, found one, applied a fix... same problem. I disconnected the router and plugged my machine directly into the modem. Same problem.

At that point I decided that it probably wasn't a problem with my equipment, but had something to do with Comcast's equipment (the modem or the line in). I did a bit of research on my modem (an old 3Com sharkfin) and found that other people have had similar problems with it. So I've troubleshot the thing, and I think I have an answer... time to get support since the modem belongs to Comcast.

Of course, when I contacted Comcast, the support sent me a form letter telling me to restart the modem when it happens. Not helpful at all. I wrote back a really nasty note that quoted my original note and asked if support had bothered to even read my complaint. I got back a somewhat apologetic form letter that said I needed to set up an appointment for a home visit.

Fine. I don't exactly like the possibility of having to pay for a tech support visit if they can't figure out what's wrong with my system, or worse, if my system suddenly decides to work when they come over, but we've been dealing with this for weeks and are sick of it. I pay way too much for poor service, but it seems I don't have a choice.

Or do I?

Eric has discovered that Verizon DSL is now available in our area. While I'm not keen on switching services, if that's what it takes to get adequate support, I may just do it.

So, wish me luck. I hope they can actually fix the problem tomorrow, and that they won't charge me extra for the privilege.