Monday, August 22, 2005

Computer Woes

Eric here, logging on via Laura's computer (so if this posts as being written by her, don't you believe it!) Well, at long last, some good news on my computer. But I supposed I should back up a bit and say what went wrong first. Last Tuesday, things just started going kerplooey (yes, that is a technical term) with my computer, a wonderful little Apple ibook laptop that I got last spring. It's been a real trooper, getting me through lots of stuff and going with me to lots of places, including two trips to California. So as you can imagine, I was not happy when it started going kerplooey. I tried to restore the system file from the disk, but that just seemed to make things worse, and my attempts to restart it just went nowhere. So I thought I'd take it in the next morning. Bad timing there! The main road out of town and into Seattle was completely closed off due to a fire. I didn't realize this, however, until I was well into the backup. I eventually realized just how cranky I'd be by the time I got through the backup, and how little time I'd have (I still had to go to work that afternoon), so I turned around and came home. I had to work all day Thursday, but Friday afternoon I finally had a chance to go into town and drop it off. It's probably just as well I didn't have it this weekend, as we were inundated with visitors anyway...

At any rate, I finally got the good news earlier today. The shop called, and found that I had a banged up hard drive. The good news? They were able to save most of the data! There were apparently a few bad blocks, but nothing serious. They will, of course, have to replace the hard drive, but at least it's cheaper than a new computer. And while I'm paying so much to get it done, I decided to spring for a little more and upgrade the capacity from 60 gb to 80 gb. So I should get it back in a few days. Good thing, too. The past few days have shown me just how important my computer is, and how much I do on it all the time. Of course, now I'm also going to back a lot of those files up...

No comments: