Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Washington State Quarter

The Seattle Times had a nice article today about the new Washington State quarter. But what really amused me was one of the four quotes they chose to represent the anonymous opinions of people around the state who wrote in. See, when the Times reported on this some time ago, I immediately went to the website indicated and put in my twenty-five cents worth. To my immense surprise, my statement, which was submitted anonymously like all the others, appeared in the Times today:
"No apples. Please. And no crowded mishmash of ugly symbols. Let's pick one thing and show that. The most beautiful and timeless designs so far are the simple ones. Washington is the Evergreen State, so let's showcase our evergreens and our mountains. ... But please, no apples."
Heh. I halfway expected that no one would ever read my opinion. But now I know that it was not only read, but it struck enough of a nerve that The Times thought it was worth printing.

From the article, I get the impression that we're likely to either get Mt Rainier alone (my preference) or an annoying jumble of images including Mt Rainier. I wouldn't object to this idea, either: "Our quarter should show an orca breaching on its side with Mount Rainier in the background... Unbridled beauty and freedom." Yeah, I could live with that.

No comments: