Sunday, January 07, 2007

Taking on Hate Speech

People wonder why I hate the Radical Right. I don't hate conservatives, but the people who shut down Spocko for exposing Radical Right hate speech aren't really conservatives.

I tend to think that the people who go on talk radio and suggest murder ought to be put in prison for a long time, no matter what their political leanings are. But the police don't seem to be interested in taking care of these people making very real threats, so Spocko went after the advertisers. He took fair use portions of the hate speech, wrote letters to the advertisers, and asked them if they were comfortable with having their advertising linked with hate-filled rants. When advertisers started to pull out... the station went after the blogger exposing the hate, instead of stopping the death threats.

And, sadly, from what I've seen in the last few years, this is typical of the Radical Right. Instead of fixing problems, they go after the whistleblower. That's why I hate the Right. Until the pendulum swings the other way and the Left gets as bad as the Right is now, I'm going to continue to hate the Right.

No comments: