Saturday, August 23, 2008

Elite?

To my surprise, USA Today has it right:
McCain, who has portrayed Obama as an elitist, is the son and grandson of admirals. The Associated Press estimates his wife, a beer heiress, is worth $100 million. Obama was raised by a single mother who relied at times on food stamps, and went to top schools on scholarships and loans. His income has increased from book sales since he spoke at the 2004 Democratic convention.
Gee, I wonder if McCain ever has depended on food stamps? McCain claims Obama is an elitist? McCain can't even remember how many houses he has. He claims that only people who have over $5 million are rich (so Obama, whose income is below that, is actually middle class by McCain's elite standards).

Worse, McCain has a nasty temper, and continually refers to being a POW whenever anyone criticizes him. I can imagine it now... a delicate stand-off with North Korea, and McCain starts shaking his walker, yelling, "You darn Koreans get off my lawn, I was a POW, you have no idea what I've been through!" Um, no thanks. I'd rather have someone with their marbles intact leading the country. Frankly, McCain is less qualified than Obama, if only because McCain's best years and best thinking are well behind him. We're in the 21st century now, let's drop relics like McCain and his brand of war-mongering conservatives.