Sunday, June 05, 2005

Race For The Cure

I did it! I walked 5K on the Alaskan Way Viaduct (beautiful views of Seattle) with no problems at all. Ok, I had to blow my nose badly by the time we were almost done thanks to the remnants of this cold, but the walk itself was no problem.

As you can see, the viaduct was crowded. The race organizers said that 13,000 people took part.

In this detail shot, you can see the speed limit. My little sister pointed out that we were probably walking faster than the traffic usually moves on the viaduct anyway.

After the Race for the Cure, my group went on a long training walk. I made it up the first hill with a bit of difficulty. The remaining bits of my cold seemed determined to settle in my lungs and make it impossible for me to breathe. At the top of the hill I took a break in the support van, then rode past the next hill in the van. I tried again when the group caught up, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't breathe. So I stopped for the day. We figured I got about 8 and a half miles in. Not as good as the 15 miles that the other women managed, but most of them weren't recovering from a cold like I was.

No comments: