Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Training Walk

I walked for 20 minutes on the treadmill this morning, and felt absolutely NO pain. I was massively encouraged by it, and decided that I would walk down to the library and back (a bit less than a mile). I had a few books to return, so I had an excuse. And it's a beautiful day. Sunny and bright, and the air is clean from the recent rain.

I didn't even make it to the library before the pain started up again. The usual, fairly intense pain in my right lower leg. The PT massaged a huge knot out of that muscle yesterday, and I imagined I could feel the knot tying itself back up again. I made it to the library in a decent amount of pain, regretting my flippant decision to try the walk.

After dropping off my books, I spent a bit of time on the bench in the library massaging the muscle in the hopes that I could get rid of the pain for a bit. Eventually I had to leave, or risk being late for work. The start of the walk was fine, no pain. But after maybe a quarter of a mile it came roaring back to make me want to limp and cry.

So I'm not nearly out of the woods yet.

Two pictures for you today. The first one is from my Friday walk, which was similar to today's walk in that I felt great, and expected to go a long distance, but felt pain fairly quickly and came back depressed. This is the same "rockman" from an earlier entry, only he's been decked out for the holiday. The sidewalk in front of him also had shamrocks chalked on it.

The next one is a picture I've been meaning to take for some time. Just down the street, there lives a plastic flamingo who has been wearing a scarf all winter long.

No comments: